So, each year around this time the east coast states of Australia start to get a little worked up at each other, because it's State of Origin time.
It's the most rivalry-tastic set of games Australians watch, and it's often cited as higher than international competitions. Basically, Queenslanders (the Maroons) versus New South Welshmen (the Blues), in a rugby league best-of-three each year. This is the Livejournal of a proud Queenslander.
Queenslanders has won five series in a row ('06-'10) and we're going for the sixth this year. They announced the Blues team last week sometime, and the Queensland team got leaked shortly before it was announced earlier this week. Where it gets kinda awesome is that at the media party to announce the Qld team they must have played entrance music, for lack of a better term, for each player.
1. Billy Slater - fullback. Kinda one of the best players in the world today. Job is to catch kicked balls, be ridiculously fast and run through the middle to score. A firecracker with massive speed. 2 Unlimited - Get Ready for This.
2. Darius Boyd - winger 1. Works alongside 1 & 5. Works on the left, I think. Top tryscorer in State of Origin 2010. Trooper - Raise A Little Hell.
3. Dane Nielsen - Centre 1. Got picked due to injury for first pick Greg Inglis. Media's reporting he was very shocked to be picked, but there's also media's making a big deal out of him being a possible chink in the armour in his SoO debut. P!nk - So What (just incidentally, I'm hoping he goes spectacularly and makes putting Inglis back in a hard decision to make).
4. Willie Tonga - centre 2. Stout, fast. House of Pain - Jump Around.
5. Jharal Yow Yeh - winger 2. Works with 1 & 3 to catch & run fast. I went to school with him, actually. Making his SoO debut, after his international debut earlier this year. Scores a bunch, managed to score in every debut he's had. Massive speed, and also a fantastic-to-watch shoulder charge tackle which got him nominated for three straight weeks in the NRL's '5 best hits of the week' countdown. Black Eyed Peas - Pump It.
6. Darren Lockyer - five-eighth, job to be right in the middle of everything and orchestrating plays, also kicks. Captain. The best current player in the world. Said that this year was his retirement year, this is his last State of Origin. He'll match the record for most games played with Game 1 (34) and when/if he plays the others he's going to smash some records. Backbone of Qld and the Brisbane Broncos, playing some awesome football on his way out. Europe - The Final Countdown.
7. Johnathan Thurston - halfback. Job to kick, kick goals, defend, be fast. Won a whole bunch of stuff for being a fantastic halfback and some player of the year awards. Hasn't missed a single Origin game since his debut before the beginning of Qld's streak. Hocus Pocus - Here's Johnny.
8. Matthew Scott - Prop. Be large, defend. Guns'N'Roses - Welcome to the Jungle.
9. Cameron Smith - Hooker. Another one of those 'greatest players in the world today'. Brilliant. He's put the idea forth that someone set up a rib with the music he was introduced with. Village People - Macho Man.
10. Petero Civoniceva - Prop. Another one of those be large, defend types. Doesn't score much (went three years between tries in the normal season) but doesn't need to. George Thorogood - Bad to the Bone.
11. Nate Myles - 2nd row. More defence. Scored his first origin try last year, to add to the three he's managed to collect in his six years of normal footy. I tweeted last year that he always seems to get bashed around like crazy. Metallica - Sad But True.
12. Sam Thaiday - 2nd row. Defence & a couple of hard runs to smack around the opponent opposition. Inner Circle - Bad Boys.
13. Ashley Harrison - Lock. Only made sporadic appearances at Origin level. Big & Rich - Save A Horse (Ride a Cowboy).
14. Cooper Cronk - interchange. Is famous in my mind for looking like Richard Brancatisano (Xander from PRMF) (okay, so maybe not in those photos in particular, and maybe not recently, just the first thing I noticed about the bloke). Also is kinda good. Plays a bit of second fiddle to Thurston & Cam Smith. AC/DC - Thunderstruck.
15. Corey Parker - interchange. Was left out of the music matchup, but the writer of the column said it'd probably be something like Garth Brooks - Friends in Low Places. Apparently made some comments that weren't taken well by the Origin Powers That Be and is playing his first Origin since his debut years in '05-06.
16. Jacob Lillyman - interchange. Sporadic playing at Origin. Kayne West - Stronger.
17. Ben Hannant - interchange. Tone Loc - Funky Cold Medina.
18th man - not a player unless someone pulls out at the very last second - Dave Taylor. One of my personal favs, he's a massive brick house of a bloke. Became heaviest player in Origin history. Not in as good a form as last year when he played all the way through the series. Zombie Nation - Kernkraft 400.
I'm also working on a Power Rangers fic regarding Kat watching State of Origin in a fit of homesickness. It's going to disregard time frames entirely (fairly sure I'll either work it with last year's games or this year's, and it's before Zeo). No one besides me will read it/get it, but oh well.
|comments: Promo time?|